Monday, March 26, 2018

Korea: Quick stop at Noryangjin Market for daebul and live shrimp


Have you ever heard of gaebul? They're this creepy fish that looks, unfortunately, like an uncircumcised member gone rogue and squirming freely about loose in a tank. They're not the most appetizing looking of beasts, and I say that as a straight woman... They are, however, a semi-common sight when walking through fish or food markets throughout Seoul, or at least seem to be as they're so eye-catching. 


Having gone to Noryangjin market several times now, I had tried a lot of the more ubiquitous and notorious items like sannakji (still squirming "live" octopuses) and I felt more liberated to try whatever random beast from the seas caught my attention this time through...in this instance, it happened to be gaebul.  I'd seen them at Gwangjang market in the past and always had a bit of curiosity about the weird little squirmies, but never jumped until now. I have to admit, on this particular instance of sampling the specific seafood in question I have to say it didn't impress me all that much. The meat was a bit rubbery and lacking in flavor, though that may have had to do with how it was prepared more than anything. I'm certainly not adverse to the consumption of any form of crustacean, so there was no reason for me to hesitate when it came to this special breed of squirming thing. I'd eat it again! I'm of the opinion that you should try any new food at least three times before writing it off for good.















I got live shrimp again, because it's delicious. A friendly gent who shared the table helped me get a better angle on the camera. Thanks, pal! ❤


Until next time~

💖
XOXO,
NAU

No comments:

Post a Comment