Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Korea: Seoul City Wall Hike part one


Seoul City wall was originally constructed in 1396 and has been maintained ever since, making it a location with much historic significance. The wall connects four mountains in Seoul, making it a key strategic point for the military from ancient times until even modern day! That's right, it's still an active military zone and upon reaching the end of this post's hike I entered an area that required showing identification and signing in with men in military uniform. This post will be all public areas where photography is freely and openly allowed! To get to the fortress wall, I took Subway line 3 from Hwajeong station to Anguk then exited Anguk station through exit 2. From there it was a short walk to a bus stop, where I caught bus line 2 to the summit. There's a local park you have to walk through to access the wall, but it's a lovely little park! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of the lucky locals who not only have such a nice park to relax in but also the gorgeous views to take in. Seoul is a city of mountains and valleys, affording many opportunities to take in a good view of the city's beauty and the City Wall makes a great photogenic adventure. 


It's not the easiest of hikes I've ever taken, mainly due to the drastic elevation changes throughout the path. You climb your way to the top of one mountain only to descend halfway then find yourself climbing the next... luckily it was a gorgeous day out, and though I worked up a bit of a sweat it wasn't unpleasant. This is not a hike I would recommend for people with bad knees or who tire easily... once you're into it, your only real option is to walk back out! Be smart and pack some snacks and water so that if you need to take a break and replenish you have supplies on hand... I, of course, only took a small water bottle and no food, because I'm a genius. I made it through alright, though I was certainly grateful to get a beverage and a snack once I returned to the city proper once the hike was all said and done. Chances are good that you'll likely encounter some brightly clad locals out enjoying the hike as well, and some hikers were quite advanced in age during my visit. I certainly couldn't let myself, young and virile as I am, be outdone by a senior citizen, right? You'd be surprised how fast they were! It was obvious that many hikers here take the hobby very seriously, equipped with expensive backpacks, walking sticks and any other supplies they might need. Learn from them and come prepared! If you plan to advance into the controlled areas, be sure to bring identification with you.  


More photos after the cut!





 
 
 


 












 

 
 
 


 



 




 



Check back tomorrow for photos from the rest of the hike!

💖
XOXO,
NAU


No comments:

Post a Comment