Thursday, March 29, 2018

Korea: Seoul City wall hike part two


After hiking through a beautiful public forest area, I found myself at a security check point. I was asked to present a valid form of photo ID and sign in, as well as fill out some paperwork agreeing to their terms during my visit. While photography was allowed through most areas, there were specific spots throughout the secure area where photography was NOT permitted. I took a photo in an area I thought was safe only to find an attendant approaching me asking to see my camera before asking me to delete the photo... which got a little awkward, as I don't normally delete photos off of my camera while I'm out and about, so I wasn't even sure how to go about doing so and had to figure it out while the attendant stood by waiting. I'm sure they were as unenthusiastic about the situation as I was, so for their sake and your own please pay close attention to the signage indicating which zones are strictly prohibited. It might not make sense, and it doesn't have to...just follow the rules and everything will be fine. The hike itself is well worth any inconvenience the no-photo zones may impose, so I highly recommend taking it. 


Seoul is a bustling and often quite-crowded city, so having the opportunity to escape while still well within the city limits is something I'm extremely grateful for. It has been documented that spending time in nature is beneficial for your health, from lowering stress levels to the exposure to fresh air and exercise involved. I worked up quite an appetite trekking up one hill and down the next, and near the end of the hike my legs felt like jelly as I descended what seemed like an endless procession of stairs. I felt great afterwards, though! Never underestimate the benefits of some endorphins and sunshine. I had been away from home for nearly three months by this point and was missing Antho quite a bit, but it did me no good to waste my time abroad sulking in my little room when I could be out experiencing the beauty South Korea has to offer. It really is a beautiful place and I encourage anyone who's considering going to go for it! When I reached the main summit, the final peak I climbed before returning to the city below, I was offered a slice of fruit from a kind stranger. Now perhaps that might be cause for concern or a time to be wary, but I've found myself the lucky recipient of gestures like this several times now and only ever been grateful for them. After all that hiking, a crisp, sweet slice of apple was wonderful. Thank you, random elderly gentleman, who decided to share his fruit with the foreign girl sitting by herself.



More photos below!












 






























 















From here I was ready for some food! This was when I went to Noryangjin and got down on some gaebul. After eating, I headed to Garak market, which will be covered in tomorrow's post! 
Until then~

💖
XOXO,
NAU

No comments:

Post a Comment