Friday, April 13, 2018

Korea: Bangsan Wholesale Market




Bangsan market in Seoul is an excellent destination for any food enthusiast or amateur restauranteur! The market is close to Gwangjang/ Kwang Jang market but specializes in food related goods, like specialty pans, cookie cutters, take-out packages, and wholesale goods for a wide variety of culinary purposes and uses. After sampling gyerrangpang for the first time from a street cart food vendor, I was hooked on the moist little cakes with the creamy eggs on top. SO good! Of course, the cute little mini-loafs require specialized pans within which to bake them, otherwise you'd just be making egg muffins... I mean, essentially that is what you're doing, but the oblong shape makes them more like the kind you'd order steaming hot on a cold morning from the cart on the corner. Therefore, relying heavily on the value of nostalgia, I had justified the necessity of purchasing these specialty micro-mini loaf pans for the end goal of bringing them back to America to share the joys of gyerrangpang with Antho and anyone else I could foist them off on. Bangsan market was the place to go.


The narrow streets can get quite densely packed with cars and pedestrians vying for the same precious remainders of space. Be alert and try not to get run over if you decide to visit. This is a functioning wholesale market and many of the restaurants throughout the city and perhaps nearby regions, too, will venture here when they need supplies. This means a lot of harried businessmen trying to get what they need and go, with no need for gawking tourists blocking their path. I was able to survive my trip and after wandering around somewhat lost in the cornucopia of shops and alleyways between the buildings I even found what I was looking for, eventually. The shop owners I interacted with didn't speak a huge amount of English, and I don't blame them. Primarily they're doing business with locals day in and day out, so be polite and patient if you find yourself struggling with a linguistic challenge. 


Interestingly (to me, at least), some of the corridors I found myself turning down where surprisingly empty for the early afternoon of my visit. Perhaps the shops were closed early, or changing out inventory, or owners. Surely someone, somewhere, knows, but I do not. A bit of mystery is good for us, though, isn't it?


Plenty more photos below!





























































💖
XOXO,
NAU

No comments:

Post a Comment