Friday, December 20, 2019

Seattle: Fremont by foot in sunnier days



Seattle is currently gripped by a storm system that is dumping rain in fat sloppy wet buckets, soaking everything and causing unnamed new rivers to run their course over the roads in an impressive downpour that hasn't been seen in years, leading to warnings of flooding throughout the area. Pine needles and vestigial remnants of crunchy dead leaves are now hyper-hydrated, becoming a slippery hazard as you wander, or scamper, through the drops. Days of rain have been splattering down now, cooling off the Puget Sound region. This, they say, is what Seattle should be like this time of year, and the last few years have been marked by unusually warm and dry weather patterns. All those stereotypes about Seattle being grey and wet? Well, here we are, folks! Soggy Seattle, in all it's squelchy glory.  The foliage needed it, and if this keeps up we might not have such a fiery summer next year, as this year was marked by many wildfires in the semi-rural and truly wild areas of the state. While fires can be cleansing in moderation, no one is happy when the majority of their state is ablaze. Just look at what's going on in Australia! Yikes. 




So, suffice to say, it's currently a bit cold and blustery out. My sweaters get soaked in the brief run from my home to my car, and lingering outside for any reason will quickly leave my shoes a soggy sad affair. Oh, but you are wearing rain boots, no? No. Of course not. Not me. Not this desert rat. I've yet to procure a proper set of waterproof footwear, and as a result, I find myself sloughing around in socks that are definitely moist, if not downright damp, at times.  Even when I was living in Japan, with its typhoon season blasting down torrents of rain for weeks on end, I somehow managed for over two years. Would I recommend this stalwart and obstinately stubborn approach to another? Absolutely not! Get you some waterproof shoes, kids! But all this rain has got me feeling some sort of way about these photos, taken when it was still warm and bright, and so very, very dry. Look at that brilliant blue sky! We aren't getting much of that around Seattle these days, and it makes vague ideas of running off to someplace with hot nights and cold drinks more appealing, even if I'd never justify actually taking the time for myself. 



Does anyone else struggle to take vacation time? That seems to be endemic in the United States, with our gung-ho go-get-'em attitudes and idolization of the workaholic approach. I work hard. My bosses know that and even when I'm being given a reminder of regulations and how vacation time is readily accessible to me should I choose to use it, I struggle to take it. Of course, the acquisition of a new (to me) vehicle, along with our beloved pet rat's medical struggles, blows my monthly budget a lot higher than I'd set it if given the choice, and being a responsible adult means taking care of these things and more, so working is crucial to my ability to pay my damn bills and sleep at night. I find myself torn between taking some much-needed recovery time and a desire for financial stability, and in trying to overcome and push forward I inevitably burn myself out and make silly avoidable mistakes that, had I taken a moment to decompress, wouldn't have happened at all. Sigh. All that being said, I think a much-needed vacation will be taken come January. Even if I end up staying home, I could use some downtime to really digest everything that's happened over the last few months.



Being tough is well and good, but you've got to make time for self-care. On the day these photos were taken, that's precisely what I'd done. After a successful day of work, I found myself in the Fremont area in good weather and decided to take some time to stroll around and acquaint myself further with its quirks. The Fremont Troll, as usual, held his vigil under the bridge, and Lenin loomed with his bright red hand, standing guard in front of the sandwich shop and other businesses tucked behind his intimidating silhouette. So, for one blissful, sunny afternoon, I strolled in the sunlight and played tourist. And it was lovely. I recommend it. Don't forget to show yourself some love, folks. Stop and smell the flowers, bask in the sunlight on a lazy afternoon, and do the things that make you feel alive, even when you don't feel like there's enough time in the day. You deserve it. And if today isn't the day, perhaps soaking in the digital glow and pretending to join me in the stroll will help, even if for just a bit. 










































Until next time,
remember to be kind to yourself!

💖
XOXO,
NAU

No comments:

Post a Comment