Monday, May 28, 2018

Seoul: Kongnamul gukbap


Gukbap, or soup with rice, is a staple budget-friendly food in the Korean diet. Typically a vegetable-heavy soup with roughly a bowl-full of rice added in for carbs, it's a cheap and filling dish to power you through a night or day. Whether you've been out drinking all evening and need something substantial to soak up the booze in your belly, or you just need a good nutritious meal to get you through the day, gukbap is generally going to be a good, affordable idea. This particular bowl cost me something around $5 US, and came with ample rice, soybean sprouts, banchan, and an egg for additional protein. It was a delicious meal and the restaurant was open 24 hours, so it was always available for the denizens of Hwajeong who needed a good, healthy, meal for whatever reasons. It comes to the table boiling hot in its stone bowl, and the egg is up to you to add at your leisure, so you control how done your yolk is. I like my eggs more on the runny side, so I added mine later in the procedure, but you do as you like because it's your meal when you're there, baby, so enjoy it! I've since recreated this dish stateside for myself and it's wholesome, satisfying, and oh-so-homey in a nostalgic way... even though I'm not Korean in any way that I'm aware of, Kongnamul gukbap is such a delicious and low-budget dish that I will always be grateful for being exposed to how delicious it really is. It doesn't take much to make a delicious and nutritious bowl of soup. This will forever remain one of my favorite simple meals from Korea because of it's pure simplicity and deliciousness! 
















Thanks for stopping by!

💕
XOXO,
NAU

No comments:

Post a Comment