Thursday, June 27, 2019

Seattle: Visit to MoPOP! part four: Worlds of Fantasy




Once upon a time, when I was a wee little lass, I once proclaimed that The Wizard of Oz was my favorite movie. I was a baby at the time, essentially, and only said as much because my dear grandpa had told me how he enjoyed the movie and it had meant something to him. Over the years, I've come to realize that not only is this not my favorite movie, but it's one that really gets under my skin and makes me terribly uncomfortable. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but there was a brief point during my early 20's where I dabbled in magic mushrooms and had a very bad, very Wizard of Oz inspired psychedelic trip that further entrenched my disdain for the movie and it's world. The Wizard of Oz is a bit of a psychedelic feature, to be fair, and the more I learn about it's history (including an attempt at reading the book, once) the more I realize this sense of foreboding was justified. Not only was Judy Garland essentially forced into stardom by her overbearing stage mum, but she was fed amphetamines by the studio and routinely berated for her weight, not to mention alleged sexual and physical abuse. No wonder it gave me bad vibes! 


The Princess Bride, however, is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time, resolutely, without question. There are certainly some creepy moments and times of inconceivable peril, but between the rodents of unusual size (um, did they cast my pets? because I know quite a few rodents of unusual size) and Inigo Montoya's quest to avenge his father, it's a subversive ride that (as far as I know) didn't require the deaths of real, multiple lions or the abuse of its stars. Whatever your preference, the Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle offers a fantasy display that includes such a diverse array of fantastical goods you're likely to find your favorite fandom represented!


The six-fingered man's glove! While we weren't able to spend an exorbitant amount of time in the exhibit on this particular visit, we were stoked to see how many different films and franchises were represented and impressed by the amount of detail involved in the design. Every exhibit in the museum was thematically designed to further that area's motif, and the Fantasy World's exhibit was no exception. From the brilliant colors and whimsical door, it felt like being transported to a world where dragons and wizards were as likely to be encountered at the next bend as a hobbit or cowardly lion. Did you know the Cowardly Lion's fur coat was made of real lions? Egads. I get the feeling that sort of thing wouldn't fly these days, but if you're going for authenticity when it comes to lion's coats I imagine you can't get much more authentic than ripping the skins from real lions. It was a different time then, to say the least. Yikes. There's a lot more to see than the macabre suit, though, and if fantasy is your bag you won't want to miss this!





















Thanks for visiting!

XOXO,
NAU

No comments:

Post a Comment