Saturday, March 3, 2018

Korea: Journey through Hongdae


On this particular day, I had to head in to Hongdae station for a visit at a medical clinic. I was getting a routine check up done, but I also wanted to follow up on some dizzy spells I'd been experiencing. After getting to Korea I found I quickly started to lose weight with the more active lifestyle, and having control over my food choices again was really empowering after living in a household with four very different food preferences where meat would often be cooked unseasoned, you know, because you can add whatever sauce you like when it's been boiled to submission...but I digress... once I was living more or less independently in the apartment, I'd gotten into a routine of eating scrambled eggs for breakfast, a packed lunch and salads for dinner...which was all well and good, but I was stretching out the duration between meals too long. My commute to work was over three hours on some days, so there were nights were I wouldn't get home until well after 8 or 9pm, and I wanted my lunch to be in the middle of my day, around 3pm, so I'd go without food for over 7 hours somedays...which with all my walking around left me drained. Luckily the clinic visit was all good news and I left feeling optimistic and hungry! In Hongdae station I stopped and grabbed a little pastry from a stand inside the secure area, which was super tasty! Cream and sweet bean, yum. I love all the little shops and stalls in every transit station, you never have to search far for a fresh coffee or a snack to tide you over, which makes it all the sillier that I would go so long without indulging myself. Korea has such an abundance of tasty foods available and conveniently, I definitely had no problem regaining some of the weight I'd lost once I stopped feeling intimidated. Same sort of thing happened when I first moved to Japan...the first couple months I find myself adjusting and still reeling from the move and culture change, and as a result I find myself mildly trepidatious about trying to order from any restaurants or stands, especially since my ability to speak Korean is abysmal at best. Thankfully most people I interacted with were patient and amicable! 


These photos are all about capturing that commuter life vibe I was talking about a bit in my previous post. With the short walk from the apartment, most of Seoul was readily available! I can't talk up their public transportation enough, it's really good at doing what it needs to do. It serves it's purpose well, and I am immensely grateful for it's existence. 

Enjoy the photos!





































Until next time!

💖
XOXO,
NAU


No comments:

Post a Comment