Friday, February 16, 2018

Vegas: Cliffside views near Valley of Fire state park


You might recall from a recent post how I mentioned a previously unrealised fear of heights. That fear absolutely and positively remains, and taking these photos was a real test of my willpower. Antho had no qualms stepping right up to the edge of this cliff, which is visible during the drive from the West entrance of the park back to the interstate. The road winds it's way along the precipice and this was one of the first times we've come back this way. I found it a lot more nerve-wracking being on the right-hand side of the road next to the cliff than trek out to the park on it, as you're nestled up against another mountain going in. Antho managed to talk me into going over the line in the rock up to near where he was standing here, but I wasn't entirely comfortable with it. The view, of course, was absolutely stunning and in that regard I'm quite glad to have pushed my comfort-zone and gone as close to the edge as I managed to. After our overnight campout at the Arch Rock campsite, our visits from the friendly ground squirrels and the tie-dye photoshoot we were pretty ready to be heading home, but Antho couldn't resist pulling over to take in this view. There was no one else in sight while we strode across the desert towards the edges, which come quite abruptly to their descent. As I mentioned, it really was quite a stunning view and I'm glad I made the uncomfortable approach to take it in. I don't think I'm going to be playing along the edges of cliffs again any time too soon, but this was a worthwhile moment and I'm glad it happened. It helps having someone as supportive and patient as Antho to hold my hand and offer kind words to soothe my nerves along the way. We've been together for almost 4 years now and gone on many adventures, from Chinatown and ferry rides in Oakland, walking from Golden Gate Park to the Golden Gate Bridge and the Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco, to our local staycations. I'm looking forward to many years more. 💘 



More photos below!


















On the drive back into the city there was some sort of large fire going on... we have no clue what it was, though. Mysteries!

Until next time, thanks for stopping by!

XOXO,
NAU


No comments:

Post a Comment