Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Makeup: Lime Crime Cashmere Velvetine Matte Liquid Lipstick review and swatches




One of my all time favorite things in life probably, like, ever is to come home and find a package waiting for me. It doesn't matter whether it's something as mundane as ordering vitamins from Vitacost or a scarf that your friend overseas was kind enough to send to you (thank you so much, Sam!!), there's something undeniably delightful about coming home (where the cute fluffy pets and boyfriend are) to find a mysterious box (or envelope/bubblemailer) with your name on it. In this case, Lime Crime goes discreet and mails your beauty booty in a simple white box. Don't let the plain exterior fool you, though, as upon lifting the lid you're greeted by the pretty blue lid with unicorns and floral loveliness. It's all pastel and pretty, with sky blue tones on the lid complimented by the soft pink paper encasing your goods. The insert is lovely, too. 



In this order I got three shades: cashmere, pink velvet, and beet it. This was my first ever order from Lime Crime and Cashmere was a free gift with purchase as a limited promotional offer, so I found it easier to justify paying 30-some-odd of my hard earned bucks for lipstick when I got three instead of two. I always try to keep an eye out for sales so I can stretch my beauty investments further, especially when purchasing from brands that cost a pretty penny. I know for some people $15-20 for a single lipstick is a laughably small consideration, but I live in the real world where I've got rent, bills, and shit to take care of so I try to put some thought into where my money goes. Lime Crime is vegan and cruelty free, which is fantastic. 

From top to bottom:


Cashmere (greige)

Pink Velvet (true pink)


Beet It (deep berry pink)
described by Lime Crime:
"Long lasting matte liquid lipstick in a deep berry-pink hue.

What it does: Makes your lips feel luxurious and velvety, like a rose. Lasts all day with minimal touch-ups, even through meals.

What it won't do: Bleed or transfer. Dry out properly moisturized lips. Ruin the perfect kiss.

TIPS: Apply lip balm 15 minutes prior; pat off excessive oils with a tissue. Apply Velvetines directly to lips (use a lip brush to refine edges). Remove at the end of the day with waterproof makeup remover or oil."

Review and photos continue after the cut!








There's been some controversy surrounding the brand in the past, but for all the hate, there's a lot of positive reviews out there, too, and the good reviews are often glowing. I wanted to give them a fair chance, and I have to admit I was a bit intrigued by some of their shade offerings. The photos on their website were beautiful, though enhanced with all the wizardry that the computing age offers. 

I love the bold red design of individual lipstick boxes as well as the floral details that continues on the lid. The applicator is easy to use and the colors are pretty opaque. Cashmere is close to nude but not quite, and I find it a really pretty and easy color to wear for day to day. It's just different enough to feel like it gives my look an edge without being outside my comfort zone. I definitely got a lot more use out of this color the first month or two until I got more comfortable with the formula of liquid lipsticks and ventured into the brighter colors. I was surprised by how wet it was when first applied, so my photos wearing it in this post might reflect my rubishness with application. The more I've played with it, the easier I've found it to use and the Velvetines formula rapidly became my favorite liquid lipstick formula of the ones I've tried. Once they dry down they hold for hours! They can budge a little with rubbing or friction, but unless you eat something greasy they stay pretty bold. Greasy food can cause them to bleed and fade, especially anywhere the oils touched, so be cautious of that, but for most day to day activities- sipping on coffee, guzzling some water, nomming on a donut- it held up very well for me.   


I thought the color looked a little similar to Kim Chi in the container, but they're markedly different when applied. Cashmere dries matte griege, while Kim Chi is more of a lavendar with slight sparkle that slowly gets brighter. Cashmere wears a bit longer, but they're both beautiful in their own rights. 





These photos are from me excitedly slapping the color on my lips as soon as I got home, so they're definitely not the prettiest example of this color. I am so stoked on all the dusty mauve/rose and greige/beige/grey tones that have proliferated the last few years! I think they're so lovely, and they can be really flattering with the right look. 

Cashmere is one of my favorite lippies in my collection right now!

5 out 5
πŸ’™πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’–

Great job lime Crime!

XOXO,
NAU




No comments:

Post a Comment