Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Vegas: Las Vegas Valley Comic Book Fest 2015



Did you know that Vegas has the 2nd most video game stores per capita?
Atlanta beats us, but we also rank high up there in number of comic book stores, 2nd only to Seattle if my source was correct. Either way, we've got quite a robust and healthy nerd population!
Between the Consumer Electronic Show in spring and all the other conventions throughout the year, there's guaranteed to be something for everyone. While the Star Trek experience has sadly gone dark, there's still plenty of good geeky fun to be had.
Once a year, on the first Saturday of November, Clark County library opens it's doors to the arts community and hosts the festival. All ages are welcome and the event is free to attend!  
This year I was posted up with Critical Care Comics, a brilliant non-profit organization that has Superheroes deliver comics to children in hospitals. It's always a great honor to work with them and I had a blast attending the event! They're so cool, in fact, that Kevin Smith gave them a shout out recently during his show in Vegas. Right on, good sir!

















A couple of food trucks posted up in front, with Zombie Dogs, Curbside Cafe & Grouchy John's offering up their treats to hungry fest-goers. 










I'm loving the Luchador Batman & Joker!




There were all sorts of talented vendors and artists showing their wares!






A friendly reminder at the front door that Coplay does not equal consent. Just in case anyone needed to be reminded. ;)




Lovely lass with her amazing prints!



Fat Beard & Crab Man manning the artist alley booth!



Harley & Batwoman rocking it while Deadpool creeps in the background. 


Festive family! 



Drew this Mista Jay for fun, someone liked it so much they ended up buying it! 


Grumpy Bat and an adorable Dalek!



Las Vegas Batman made an appearance and was well-recieved! Little Harley even forgave their long-running feud and gave him a friendly high-five!
Seeing Double? Me too. ;)


Spidey had an unfortunate wardrobe malfunction...


Do a silly dance and get a FREE comic! How fun!


Double the Deadpool, double the fun.



A Batman commission I knocked out.


When it was time for lunch, I opted for the Baja Burger from Curbside Cafe. It was pretty tasty! Reminded me of In-n-Out, but spicier. The fries were nice, too. With a soda the whole thing came out to $11, which is reasonable enough for the average cost of food truck food here. I'm glad I tried it, and as hungry as I was it was really satisfying, though if I had other options I'd be inclined to try those. Variety is the spice of life, after all. ;)


Towards the end of the event I was commissioned to draw the Green Lantern. One of my favorite things that I see at these events are the sketchbook collections- where someone picks a theme and has different artists render it in one book. One girl had a sketchbook full of Venom praying mantises! Fantastic. Her idea was so fun it even got discussed during a panel at San Diego Comic Con! Right on. The Green Lantern series is one I'm not terribly familiar with, so I went with a Magical Girl rendition. XD He was ok with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment