Friday, May 29, 2015

Hair: May 29th, 2015 Blonde experiment


    So, it's happened. I made a pretty drastic change and finally took the plunge and lightened my hair. It's the first time I've ever been this fair haired so it's quite a change of pace.




    I had ~3-4 inches of natural roots with box dyed mid-lengths and bleached ends and I wanted to even out the all-over tone and go a few shades lighter. The end goal was to match the rest of my hair to the color of my tips. I had a coupon for Sally's Beauty Supply so I went to my nearest location and loaded up on supplies…with 25% off my entire purchase! Score. Before bleaching, I slathered my hair in coconut oil. Coconut oil is great for conditioning hair & skin and some bloggers consider it a holy grail for salvaging some healthiness in their hair during bleaching. 
     
Shapow! Beauty loot. 


     Once Antho got home from work a couple hours later, I coerced him into helping me with this project. While some Youtuber's might be able to do it all on their own and get gorgeously even results, I didn't trust myself to be able to tackle the job without an additional pair of eyes and hands. My hair was very long and I have a lot of it, so I wanted to be absolutely sure to get all areas as evenly as I (or he) could. It took awhile to really get it into my hair, but once coated I threw it up into this dapper blue topknot and anxiously awaited the time to wash it out and reveal my results… 
    Initially, I panicked. I had spent a good month researching techniques, tips, brands, etc…I had even had a nightmare about getting hot roots! It was something I wanted to desperately avoid…and I was convinced I'd gotten them in the worst possible way. Once my hair actually dried, though, it was far more even than it had initially looked. The color was still brassy, which I wasn't thrilled with, but I was pleasantly surprised by how light my hair actually went. As a natural brunette, I assumed my hair would be resistant to lightening and since I'd only used a 20 volume developer the end result shocked me.
    After rinsing it thoroughly, the keratin treatment was slopped all over it and left to soak for at least half an hour to deep condition my hair and hopefully repair some of the damages the bleach had caused. Once the keratin treatment was rinsed out I massaged a lot of argan oil into my strands, trimmed the fried ends a bit, braided it and went to bed.



    What do you think? Have you ever gone blonde before? How did you like it? 

Feel free to comment and let me know! 

You can also keep up on my adventures on Instagram Twitter  or Bloglovin!




No comments:

Post a Comment