Saturday, March 26, 2016

Hair: Now it's here, now it's gone. 2016-03-26



You guys may have noticed that I recently cut my hair, and quite drastically at that. 
Some may be wondering why I would opt to remove the soft, flowing follicles that adorned my face in favour of a blunt short crop... or maybe not, you might not be the least bit concerned with what I do with my own hair, and right on if so. Feel free to bypass this post in favour of something more interesting to you.


So, here we are. It's been about two weeks since my talented friend and barber Mindy took the trimmers to my dome. This has given me time to adjust to the differences and weigh them, along with the reasoning behind my decision.

In all honesty, I was really excited to take my hair off. 
It's been well over a decade since I've had short hair, and after bleaching my hair multiple times and chopping half of it off I still felt the itch to do something different. I was tired of the constant battle with roots that comes with lightening your hair and while my hair remained soft and touchable it was more fragile than I liked. I spent several weeks watching videos of women shaving their hair off, discussing their experiences with short hair, reading blogs, etc. The idea initially occurred to me after a conversation with one of the youngsters I drew during a hospital visit with Critical Care Comics. She was a teenager and we joked about our attachment to our hair- and it kind of gnawed at me. How invested am I in my hair, anyway? In all reality it's just an accumulation of keratin and proteins projecting itself from my scalp.. while it can take years to grow out and maintain long, luscious locks, at the end of the day they are not the singular defining point to who I am. Over the past year I've dabbled in pink, purple, blue, green and blonde hair and while it was good fun to experiment it also helped reinforce the idea that my hair didn't have to define me any more than I wanted it to. 

It's just hair. 
It grows back.

And you know what?
Having short hair is GREAT! 



I've knocked my shower time down to 10 minutes
Now I spend more time putting on skin creams than I do trying to rinse product out of my hair.
 I'd bought Hair One's Olive hair cleanser and conditioner for dry hair ages ago and never really used it. When my hair was long, I'd need 16-20 pumps of product to effectively saturate it all, and when it was bobbed it still took 10-12 pumps. It seemed like so much product to use each and every time I washed my hair, and was kind of a pain to pump-pump-pump away. Now 2-3 pumps will thoroughly saturate my hair and scalp and it's so much easier to massage my scalp without tangling up my hair. The product was recommended to me the day I bought the bleach and I still have the same bottle, if that gives you an idea how infrequently I was using it! But man, this stuff is great with my short hair! It's really nourishing and makes my hair so soft and shiny without drying out my scalp and turns washing my hair into a one-step process. Yes, yes, yes! Can I get a hallelujah from my fellow low-maintenance girls?

 I no longer get hair in my face while driving. Windows down, moonroof open, baby.

Running my fingers through my hair feels SO awesome, and I never get any knots!

I keep getting referred to as Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and I'm 100% OK with that.


I actually feel a lot more confident without the security blanket of my long hair. Without anything to hide my face behind (aside from my beloved sunglasses) I'm finding that I face the world more head on. I feel more attractive without my hair. Fancy that!

It's almost summer time, and in Vegas that means it's about to get really hot. 110-115 degrees Fahrenheit/~40-46 degrees celsius highs... and having long hair in that kind of heat is miserable, at least for me. No longer will I have to suffocate under the sweaty weight of my own hair!

Also have to say that not finding long hairs in awkward places is pretty nice.

So far, the only real problem I have with the short hair is how fast my hair is growing back. It was buzzed down to nearly nothing only two weeks ago and already it's grown over 1/4"! That might not seem like much, but at that rate it's growing over 1/2" every month. In a year my hair could be back down to my chin if I don't keep on top of it!

So, what do you think?
Have you ever dramatically changed your hair or gone super short?
I'd love to hear from you!

XOXO
Nau

No comments:

Post a Comment